Thursday, March 19, 2020

C19: Physical Distancing

Kris came across a social media post yesterday that suggested we shouldn't call it "Social Distancing," but rather, "Physical Distancing." I like this.

Photo I took yesterday of the "friend" I found on my walk :)

I like this because I find I've reconnected via video chat with several people in the last week or so that I haven't seen in months, some in YEARS. Do I think video chat can completely replace physical, in-person meetings? Certainly not. I am a dancer after all, and place a LOT of value in in-person, embodied experiences. That said, I have to say that I am quite grateful right now for the level of connection that communication technology currently allows us.

I've been thinking about how people's experiences during the 1918 "Spanish Influenza" pandemic must have been UNIMAGINABLY different from what my own experience of this Covid-19 pandemic has been. Admittedly, I haven't thought TOO hard about HOW much different and in what was, as I feel it might depress me more than I have room for in my soul right now while not accomplishing much.

That said, I have found it interesting to lightly consider, as a measure of gratitude and of gaining knowledge. If I think TOO hard about it, the water-works will begin again, and I've managed to only cry twice in the last week. I'm trying to strike a balance between feeling my feelings and managing my feelings. I'm trying to be in the here and now in a balanced way.

One of the ways I'm keeping in the here and now is re-engaging with friends in the ways technology allows. Ones I see a lot. Ones I see a bit. Ones I never see.

Physical distancing, not social.

No comments: