Tuesday, October 20, 2020

I Love A Walking Tempo

A walking bass-line?

A walking baseline?

A walking tempo. Also called a moderate tempo. I'm leaning into this word (in spite of its political connotations). Moderate. An adjective. Moderate. Also a verb. To moderate.



In moderation.

That has it's connotations too. "Everything in moderation." Helpful for some and not for others.

Back to that walking tempo. Moderate tempo. Walking baseline?

A moderate tempo is neither too fast nor too slow. A moderate tempo lets me sink into some moments and flurry through others. This juxtaposition of choices is delicious to me. I love having that moderate tempo to drive me forward in my groove while allowing for departure from it in either direction and on a large scale. 

A moderate tempo allows me the speed to sync with others and with the beat, making space to appreciate all the details in play.

A walking tempo tunes me into a sense of forward motion (well, it could be backwards, side to side, up and down . . . I certainly don't need to get righteous about always moving 'forward' here). A walking tempo connects me to a speed of groove that can comfortably be maintained in a way that also allows departure from it.

It feels like the speed of my heart, perhaps elevated ever so slightly as a reminder that I'm breathing in and out in this moment, surrounded by beings doing the same. A reminder that this should be cherished.

Quite a bas(e/s-)line.

No comments: