Tuesday, January 5, 2021

You'll Just Have to Believe Me

This morning, the lights from the lamp posts around my house shone columns of brassy orange: they looked like citrus-tinged space ships tipped lengthwise. I'd never seen anything like it before!

At first, I was convinced the apartment complex near us must have gotten new lamp posts, as they are different from the St. Paul city fixtures throughout the neighborhood. Then, I turned around and saw that the city fixtures looked like citrus-tinged space ships tipped lengthwise too! It was then that I noticed the dense, tiny glitter hanging in the air, swishing at the slowest pace I think I have ever witnessed. I've seen snow-glittery air before, but not like this. Without better equipment and training, I knew I couldn't catch a photo that would do it justice.


Crude attempt to capture the magic . . .


You'll just have to believe me.

It must have been thanks to the fog advisories we've had as of late. I'm surprised it took me until recently, given my obsession with them, to learn that fog is just patches of really thin and wide-spread clouds! I suppose I shouldn't be TOO shocked: clouds have always been a thing of aesthetics for me. I appreciate the science of them, it's just not the source of my curiosity.

The combo of the fog-mist-slow-glitter-clouds and the way they affected the light from the neighborhood lamp posts this morning was a bit too much for me to hold in: my body had to release some water from my eyes in order for me to process everything. Wonder in real-time.

I told Kris the other day that I couldn't imagine what it would be like to grow up in a place with no snow. Shortly after, I followed that up with the guess that there are plenty of folks that couldn't imagine what it would be like to grow up without being able to see the ocean each day. All I can say is that this fog-mist-slow-glitter-clouds got my day off to the right start.

You'll just have to believe me :)

No comments: