Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Lake + Hashbrowns

A surprisingly good smell combo! Just got done with my morning walk, and once again realized that our neighborhood nearly ALWAYS smells like hashbrowns! I'm actually totally delighted by this. I think it comes from Key's, but I also LIKE to think that it's coming from the homes surrounding us, and that I contribute to it here and there.

There is something so comforting to me about the smell of hashbrowns (and eating them too, of course :)). I think much of this has to do with the fact that my mom would make them for me every day before school, often with sausage and toast. It was a true privilege to know I'd get to sit down to a hot breakfast every morning - thanks mom. I think it's that sense of care and love that I attach to the smell of hashbrowns. It makes me happy EVERY SINGLE TIME I smell it. Perhaps this is part of why I'm so insistent on getting out for my morning walks each day :)

This particular morning, I took in a commingling smell of Como Lake and hashbrowns together, and it too was totally delightful! I associate lake smell with summer and simplicity, so these too things together made my heart sing! I think I associate nature smells in general with simplicity. The crispness and earthiness are what I need to help me focus in on the moment and digest it. Going to Taylor's Falls/ Interstate State Park was EXACTLY what I needed, and made me really stoked about the idea of visiting more Minnesota State Parks this fall.

I listened to a podcast this morning about how to 'make every day your favorite,' and today is my favorite so far because of my appreciation of these commingled smells :)

No comments: