Monday, November 15, 2021

Wonders

This morning, I found the heavy drizzle of snow on top of recently-fallen, colorful leaves alongside the many still on the trees FULL of WONDER.

The sights in my neighborhood - the same one I see every day - were BREATHTAKING to me. I started trying to pinpoint how I'd describe this practice of noticing this wonder, this 'magic in the mundane.' That's not the way - 'mundane' seems far too dismissive. I thought 'everyday wonders.' Also not right - I don't notice sights like this every day, nor do they happen every day. They don't necessarily even happen each Fall into Winter! What about 'small wonders'? That also doesn't seem right: the main sources of my wonder - snow and trees - are arguably HUGE! Not only in stature, but in affect on the world around them.

Perhaps it's not so important to be able to label this warm, tingly phenomenon I experienced once again this morning, out in the crispness of seasonal transition from Minnesota Fall to Winter. Maybe it's more important that I consciously appreciate that it happened.

WONDER.



This writing felt complete, and then I felt the push to add a bit here about another source of wonder, floating quietly (at least right now!) in my abdomen: the human I am growing there. WHAT?! It's still just totally unbelievable to me that this is 1) possible, and 2) that I am doing it right now. I have logically understood for quite while now how pregnancy works, but experiencing it myself puts the idea on a whole new plane.

I've read and had people tell me to be sure to enjoy it, and I'm glad to have come across this advice: as much has it's been physically and mentally challenging in specific ways for me, it is QUITE the WONDER, and I want to be sure I give it's due in this way, before this source of wonder has given way to another.

WONDER.

No comments: