Wednesday, March 3, 2021

The Smell of Melt

Delicious. Nostalgic. Comforting.



So familiar. When I first notice it in a season, I KNOW there will be more snow, yet I cannot keep myself from feeling the excitement of Spring. This coming from a woman who LOVES her snow. Interesting how perspectives can shift from season to season.

What else will be defrosting this Spring. The timing is pretty serendipitous. So strange to think that declaration of global pandemic was less than a year ago, yet here I sit with a bandage on my arm from a yesterday-fresh vaccination shot. I suppose I don't have much for comparison - everything seems to move at a quicker clip the older I get (which I assume is due to a combination of collected years of life experience and acceleration of technological capabilities). Even so, a vaccine THIS SOON is . .  uncanny. Is that the word? 

.

.

.

I just looked it up. That's NOT the word.

It's . . . miraculous? 

.

Yes, it looks like one of the meanings makes this the word.

It is a bizarre juncture to be sitting at the intersection of something so unfamiliar (Covid vaccination, at the Mall of America, no less) and the smell of melt (and surely, many other things in each category I have not yet consciously realized, or am simply not going to take the time to write about here and now). The best I can do is open up my smeller and try to take it all in.

No comments: