Monday, December 21, 2020

Bleak is Beautiful: Solstice Edition

What is this season offering to us?

Wait.

Appreciate.

As always, I'm not musing anything that hasn't been thought before. Everything old is new again . . .  to me and you and anyone and everyone else every time a journey through life is happening.

Today's 'not new' is the concept that it can feel quite easy for humans to rush toward the next thing without leaving space for gratitude for what is already there. Flip the coin for another 'not new': the idea of making shift within what you wish to and can, and embracing for what it offers that which you cannot change.

I'd like to think I came across this as a Zen Buddhist idea, but I'm honestly not sure, and I won't be going to find out. At least not right now. Sometimes feeding my curiosity is the thing I'm appreciating. Giving socio-historical context to the topic at hand. Sometimes, what I'm appreciating is my own pathway to considering the topic at hand, without having to prescribe it to a particular origin beyond my own experience. Everything old is new again. Finding my own way about the world, my own compass for guiding me on the path of being a good human.

Regardless, appreciation is there. It needs to be there. If it's not there, a lot is missed.

Back to seasons. When I say 'season' in this context, I less mean leaves falling and snow dropping, and more mean sections of life. Personal seasons feel small and individual, large and societal, and everything in between, and I'd posit that all of them overlap all the time. That said, humanity as a whole is experiencing a large, long, unexpected season together right now, in the shape of a pandemic, and I feel in my bones how fruitful it is to wait. Appreciate.

What is this season offering to us?

I can appreciate that having space to process this way is not a given for everyone all the time, which in a way makes me feel more push to be sure I am doing so. Cultivating and adding this approach to the world in my own small way.


Wait.

Appreciate.

What is this season offering to us?

No comments: