Monday, November 23, 2020

Same Coin

 When I first spotted this scene, it made me sad.


Nobody?

I wasn't quite sure what the name tag said without looking quite a bit closer.

Face down, in the dirt and leaves, on a hidden path. Nobody.

Then, I looked up. Noticed the majestic sunrise through the trees easily more than double my age, and flipped the coin.

I think feeling like 'nobody' can be both sad and perspective-building. I won't go so far as to say 'positive' or 'happy,' but 'perspective-building' feels like the right way to say it.

It's that 'I am small' feeling. When everything around you feels overwhelming and the small becomes the big and your troubles feel like the center of the universe, it's understandable, because your standpoint is the only one you really look at from out your own body. That said, there are times the reminder that in the grand scheme, you are quite small, can be really helpful. It can make your own troubles seem more manageable and create a launchpad for empathy and action.

Perhaps 'nobody' isn't exactly the right way to say it. Regardless, finding this name tag the way I did feels no less poetic.


Zooming out provides that flipped coin picture: the one in which you are a small but significant part of the larger.

No comments: